Massage Franchising: Aging Demographics Increase Demand
The use of massage therapy among baby boomers is booming, and members of Generation X are very aware of the powers of massage. Owners in the massage franchising industry will witness increased demand from the growing aging population.
Popularity of massage therapy among seniors
Seniors are flocking to massage spa franchises as the popularity of this alternative medicine increases — alongside the size of the aging population.
The most recent 18th Annual American Massage Therapy Association Consumer Survey, found that approximately 9 million people over the age of 55 had a total of 39 million massages in the previous 12 months. The report found that the primary reason this population received massage was for medical purposes — pain relief, soreness/stiffness, and recovery from injury.
Benefits of massage therapy for seniors
On the surface, it may seem like getting a massage is just a way to feel good. However, the medical community is getting on board with the numerous benefits of massage therapy, particularly when it comes to relieving some aches and pains commonly associated with getting older.
Massage therapy for seniors has been proven to have positive effects on chronic joint and muscle pain, blood circulation, and the nervous system. Here is a list of massage therapy health benefits for seniors from American Senior Communities:
- Pain due to osteoarthritis – Studies show massage therapy leads to less pain and stiffness and improved physical function.
- Sleep habits and quality of sleep – Seniors who receive regular massages report that they are sleeping more deeply and for longer lengths of time.
- Alleviating depression – Touch has been proven to comfort the elderly.
- Physical and mental relaxation – Massage decreases the unhealthy buildup of cortisol, the “stress hormone.”
- Quicker healing from injuries or illness – Our joints and muscles tighten as we age, which can make it more difficult to heal. Massage therapy keeps muscles and joints more fluid and less prone to injury.
Seniors find much more than relaxation when they make massage therapy a regular part of their healthcare routine.
Stay Young Forever
Massage therapy has grown in popularity, and younger generations will seek out this alternative treatment as they age — especially those who want to keep the effects of aging at bay.
Massage increases circulation in the skin through the manipulation of the tissue. That improves the appearance and condition of the skin and its elasticity. Here are some ways massage therapy helps seniors combat the effects of aging from Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals:
- Increased circulation helps the body to pump more oxygen into tissues and vital organs
- Reduces swelling and scar tissue
- Stimulates lymph flow and supports the body’s natural process of detoxification
As members of the aging population seek out the benefits of massage therapy, MassageLuXe spa franchise owners will benefit as well. This means more satisfied clients, eager to come back on a regular basis.
To learn more about spa franchise opportunities with MassageLuXe, scroll down to fill out the contact form below.